VET Teachers should be aware that the new credential requirements deadline has been extended to 1 July 2019
Go to Department Education and Training website for more details. (See Upgrade/Update options below).
CERT IV IN TRAINING AND ASSESSMENT (TAE40116) – Full Course
The TAE40116 is the minimum qualification required to work as a trainer/assessor in a structured training environment such as TAFE or a Private RTO. It is also suitable for individuals who provide on-the-job instruction in a workplace environment, (i.e. delivering one-on-one training to apprentices or coaching and mentoring other staff). Successful participants will also be qualified to conduct workplace assessments and skill audits.
This course includes 10 units as follows:
TAEASS401 Plan assessment activities and processes
TAEASS402 Assess competence
TAEASS403 Participate in assessment validation
TAEASS502 Design and develop assessment tools
TAEDEL401 Plan, organise and deliver group-based learning
TAEDEL402 Plan, organise and facilitate learning in the workplace
TAEDES401 Design and develop learning programs
TAEDES402 Use training packages and accredited courses to meet client needs
TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills
BSBCMM401 Make a presentation
The course is structured into four learning clusters:
- Cluster 1 – Learning Design (includes the LLN unit)
- Cluster 2 – Learning Delivery
- Cluster 3 – Assessment
To enrol in the course participants must:
- be able to demonstrate vocational competency in their proposed teaching and assessing area. Vocational competency is defined as broad industry knowledge and experience, and may include, but is not limited to, holding a relevant unit of competency or qualification; and
- have access to one, or a range of, workplaces or practice environments that will provide the opportunity to practice their training and assessment skills in a real workplace, and complete the tasks with real vocational learners.
- Documentary evidence of the above is required
- RTO Trainer and Assessor
- Lead Trainer and Assessor
- Enterprise Trainer
- Workplace Assessor
- Workshop Facilitator
- Industry mentor and/or coach
- Vocational Lecturer
UPGRADE COURSE (from TAE40110 to TAE40116)
The upgrade course is specifically designed for applicants who hold the TAE40110 (now superseded) and wish to upgrade to the new TAE40116. The new rules state that ‘On or after 1 July 2019, training and assessment must only be delivered by persons with the updated assessment credential requirements’.
Go to Department Education and Training website for more details.
The TAE40110 and the TAE40116 are not equivalent. There are two new Core Units and two Non-equivalent units in the new course (all other units in the TAE40110 and the TAE40116 are deemed to be equivalent).
Some participants may already have completed some core or non-equivalent units and therefore the cost of upgrading to the new qualification is dependent upon the units to be completed. The costs for this upgrade are per unit price (see unit costs below).
On successful completion of the TAE40116 Upgrade Course you will be awarded the latest TAE40116 Qualification.
Upgrade costs per Unit
|Unit Code||Unit Name||Core or Non-equivalent Unit||Cost|
|TAELLN411||Address adult language literacy and numeracy||Core Unit||$399|
|TAEASS502||Design and develop assessment tools||Core Unit||$450|
|TAEASS401||Plan assessment activities and processes||Non-equivalent||$399|
|TAEASS403||Participate in assessment validation||Non-equivalent||$399|
Download the Participant Information and Enrolment Application Form TAE UPGRADE FROM 40110 to TAE40116
Pre-requisite requirements for the upgrade course
- A certified copy of your original TAE40110 Certificate, including a transcript of units completed
- You must be able to demonstrate vocational competency in your proposed teaching and assessing area. (Vocational competency is defined as broad industry knowledge and experience, and may include holding a relevant unit of competency or qualification.)
- You must have maintained professional development since the award of your TAE40110 e.g. ongoing employment, attendance at conferences or seminars, research, newsletters, etc.
- You must have access to a former employer or supervisor who can attest to your professional experience as a trainer and assessor.
Further evidence may be required depending upon the selection of units you have completed in your TAE40110 and you currency in the skills and knowledge requirements of this qualification.
Do you need to upgrade?
Trainers and assessors who possess the TAE40110 qualification have until 1st July 2019 to meet the new credential requirements. (Go to Department Education and Training website for more details). However some trainers may not wish to undertake the full upgrade course and in this case, the following option applies:
In addition to holding the TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment, you will need to hold either one of the following:
- TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills; or
- TAELLN401A Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills
Plus one of the following:
- TAEASS502 Design and develop assessment tools or
- TAEASS502A Design and develop assessment tools or
- TAEASS502B Design and develop assessment tools.
(See the individual unit costs above).
Some trainers and assessors who hold the TAE40110 may have completed one or more of the relevant units as electives or as part of ongoing professional development. If you do not currently hold the relevant units, you will need to complete them before 1 July 2019 to meet the new requirements.
Please note: On completion of the above units you will receive a Statement of Attainment outlining those units you have successfully completed. You WILL NOT be eligible to receive the TAE40116 – BUT under the Standards for RTOs 2015, you will hold the required credentials to be a qualified trainer/assessor.