If you love the idea of supporting children’s learning and are looking to complete an education support course, our education courses for school age children will equip you to be a student learning support officer or out of school hours care educator.
Our education courses and teaching assistant courses will give you foundational skills to educate, support and assist school-age children with their learning, so you can provide nurturing and inclusive care in a range of educational settings.
Diploma of School Age Education and CareView Course: Diploma of School Age Education and Care
Certificate IV in School Based Education SupportView Course: Certificate IV in School Based Education Support
Delivered 100% online or hybrid, Bedford College offer education courses, combining theoretical knowledge with practical hands-on experience to effectively work in a school or out of school hours (OOSH) setting. Whether you want to become an OOSH educator, vacation care worker or teacher’s aide (also known as a teaching assistant), you’ll learn how to work with school-age children in partnership with teachers and families to facilitate positive learning and development.
- Employers are looking for education aides and teacher’s aides who have strong interpersonal skills, can communicate well as part of a team and are motivated^
- Most teachers’ aides work in the education and training industry, which is projected to grow by 13.4%^
- Education aides are the third-largest occupations in the education and training industry, making up in excess of 100,000 employees^^
^ Occupation profile: Teachers Aides. Market Labour Insights. Australian Government.
^^ Education and Training. Market Labour Insights. Australian Government.
- 12 month duration
- Part-time study available
- 12 month duration
- Part-time study
Modes of delivery
- Online: Students are provided with a training plan that sets out a course structure for students to follow at their own pace
- Face-to-face: Students attend college as per the class timetable set out for the course
- Blended: combination of self-paced online and face-to-face learning.
- Successful completion of Year 10 (or equivalent)
- No ATAR is required
- Applicants undertake a Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment for the College to determine the level of assistance needed to support the student
Students who complete our education courses will be successful in caring for and educating school age children in a range of settings.
- Special Learning Support Officer (SLSO)
- Education Support Worker
- Classroom Assistant
- Learning Assistant
- Education Assistant (special needs, languages and literacy, cultural support)
- Out of School Hours (OOSH) Educator
- Vacation Care Educator
- OOSH Coordinator
- OOSH Team Leader
- OOSH Nominated Supervisor
- OOSH Centre Director
Bedford College deliver education courses that are nationally recognised so you can support students personally and academically in a school environment or at an out of school hours care service. Complete a Diploma of School Age Education and Care or the Certificate IV in School Based Education Support (also known as a teaching assistant course) to design and deliver educational activities to a range of students from all different backgrounds.
Thanks to our 80-year legacy providing nationally recognised training, Bedford works closely with industry partners as part of the students’ practicum placement, with many students going on to receive employment offers upon graduation.
Certificate IV in School Based Education Support students will undertake a minimum of 100 hours of mandatory practicum placement.
Diploma of School Age Education and Care students have a minimum of 280 mandatory practicum placement hours in an out of school hours care or vacation care environment.
Note: If 18 years or over, a valid NSW Working with Children Check number is required for students to undertake the mandatory practicum.
Bedford graduates who have completed our education courses often choose to undertake further study.
Bedford College have arrangements with high-ranking universities to provide articulation pathways (with credit) towards Bachelor degree programs. As the formal agreements are subject to periodic change, it is best to contact us directly for the most up-to-date information.
Bedford offers students flexibility when it comes to enrolment, allowing commencement of study across two study periods in a year.
Bedford College is an approved VET Student Loans (VSL) provider for Diploma level qualifications where students meet the eligibility requirements.
VSL is for domestic students only and is not available for international students.