Diploma of School Age Education and Care
Attain a diploma in education also known as a Diploma of School Age Education and Care so you can lead and supervise primary school age children as an educator in a vacation care and out of school hours setting.
A diploma in education allows students to graduate with a theoretical framework combined with the practical experience required to be a primary school age children carer and educator.
CHC50221 Diploma of School Age Education and Care
- 12 month duration
- Part-time study available
Modes of delivery
- Online: Students are provided with a training plan that sets out a course structure for students to follow at their own pace
- Blended: combination of self-paced online and face-to-face learning
- Successful completion of Year 10 (or equivalent)
- No ATAR is required
- Applicants undertake a Language Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment for the College to determine the level of assistance needed to support the student.
Many graduating students go on to fulfil the following career opportunities:
- Out of School Hours (OOSH) Educator
- Vacation Care Educator
- OOSH Coordinator
- OOSH Team Leader
- OOSH Nominated Supervisor
- OOSH Centre Director
Only 12 months in duration and delivered 100% online, our Diploma of School Age Education and Care is a diploma in education to broaden your knowledge and skills as a school age educator, service coordinator and facilitator. Enjoy caring for children in a fun learning environment with a diploma of childhood education and care.
Thanks to our 80-year legacy providing nationally recognised training, Bedford works closely with industry partners as part of the students’ practicum placement, with many students going on to receive employment offers upon graduation.
Diploma of School Age Education and Care students undertake a minimum of 280 mandatory practicum placement hours in an out of school hours care or vacation care environment.
Note: If 18 years or over, a valid NSW Working with Children Check number is required for students to undertake the mandatory practicum.
Some of our graduates choose to undertake further study upon completion of their diploma in education.
Bedford College have arrangements with high-ranking universities to provide articulation pathways (with credit) towards Bachelor degree programs. As the formal agreements are subject to periodic change, it is best to contact us directly for the most up-to-date information.
Diploma of School Age Education and Care core units:
- BSBLDR523 Lead and manage effective workplace relationships
- CHCCCS007 Develop and implement service programs
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCDIV003 Manage and promote diversity
- CHCLEG003 Manage legal and ethical compliance
- CHCPRT025 Identify and report children and young people at risk
- CHCSAC006 Support children to participate in school age care
- CHCSAC007 Develop and implement play and leisure experiences in school age care
- CHCSAC008 Work collaboratively and respectfully with school age children
- CHCSAC010 Foster holistic learning, development and wellbeing for school age children
- HLTAID012 Provide first aid in an education and care setting
- HLTFSE007 Oversee the day-to-day implementation of food safety in the workplace
- HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
- SISXPLD005 Facilitate inclusion for people with a disability
- CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
Diploma of School Age Education and Care elective units:
- BSBHRM413 Support the learning and development of teams and individuals
- BSBSUS511 Develop workplace policies and procedures for sustainability
- CHCCOM002 Use communication to build relationships
- CHCECE034 Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- HLTFSE001 Follow basic food safety practices
- CHCECE043 Nurture creativity in children
- CHCECE047 Analyse information to inform children’s learning
- CHCECE048 Plan and implement children’s education and care curriculum
Bedford College offers one commencing intake of study in a year for this course.
Bedford College is an approved VET Student Loans (VSL) provider for Diploma level qualifications where students meet the eligibility requirements.
VSL is for domestic students only and is not available for international students.